How Night Driving Affects Your Vision
Night driving presents different challenges than you experience when driving in daylight, so prepare yourself for your next driving eye test by visiting your local eye doctor. We provide complete vision services at Lavenburg Medical Group and during your comprehensive eye exam, we can quickly diagnose and treat night vision problems. Let us make driving at night a safe and comfortable experience for you.
Why Night Driving Vision Problems Occur
Night driving vision can be full of shadows, halos and reflections, especially if your night vision is compromised. Conditions like the following, often in combination, cause problems with night vision and driving:
• Sun damage to the eyes
• Extra eyelid skin or sagging lids
• Vitamin deficiencies
• And more
Night Driving Safety Tips from Your Newark Optometrist and Ophthalmologist
• Plan your driving route. Prior to leaving home or work, plan to take familiar streets and drive where street lighting is good.
• Avoid long drives at night. Save longer trips for daytime hours.
• Don’t rush. Leave extra early when driving at night.
• Be a defensive driver. Stay two car lengths or more behind cars in front, especially in rain or inclement weather.
• Don’t drive tired. If you’re anxious or sleepy, postpone your drive--or ask someone you trust for a ride.
• Avoid in-car distractions. Put your phone on silent and ask passengers to be fairly quiet while you concentrate on driving.
• Take a driving refresher course.
• Get necessary car safety features. It's easier to drive safely at night with larger rear view and side mirrors, power steering, ABS brakes, rear view cameras, etc.
• Don't clutter your view. Keep items off the dash like tissue boxes, stuffed animals, rear-view mirror hanging decorations, etc.
• Enroll in a roadside assistance program, like the Auto Club.
• Check function of automotive essentials: Check lights, brakes and windshield wipers regularly. Keep your car tuned up so you don't break down at night.
Have you had a driving eye test lately? Increase safety with a night driving vision and eye health exam at Lavenburg Medical Group. Call us at 844-415-7000 today.