If you are tired of relying on glasses or contacts to see correctly, you might want to consider getting LASIK. It is a surgical laser procedure that gently reshapes the cornea, correcting nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. At Lavenburg Medical Group, we offer LASIK and will consult with you to see if the procedure is a good fit for your condition. We serve patients in Newark and Wilmington, DE, and Elkton, MD.
What Are the Benefits of LASIK?
As mentioned above, LASIK allows you to see clearly without the use of corrective eyewear. The other benefits include:
- Saves money on the cost of an annual pair of eyeglasses or an annual supply of contacts
- Saves time, because you won't need to deal with contact lenses and their care
- Confidence that you can always see clearly
- Increased self-esteem
- Lower risk of eye infections
Who Is a Good Candidate for LASIK?
During your consultation, our eye doctor will use your medical history and an exam to determine if you are a good candidate for LASIK, including:
- Age: You must be at least 18 years old to have LASIK.
- Health: Your general health will be taken into consideration. If you have diabetes, an autoimmune disease, or collagen vascular disease, LASIK isn't an option.
- Medication: If you take medication that can compromise your immune response, you won't be a good candidate for LASIK.
- Eye health: Your eyes need to be free of disease to have LASIK. If you have dry eye, glaucoma, keratoconus, macular degeneration, corneal disease, or a condition of the optic nerve or retina, LASIK isn't an option.
- Pregnancy: If you are pregnant or nursing, our eye doctor will require you to wait to get LASIK.
- Vision stability: Your vision must be stable for at least a year to be a good candidate.
- Eye injury: If you had a previous eye injury, there is a chance that you cannot get LASIK.
How Long Does It Take?
On the day of your appointment, you should plan to be in the office for about an hour. The actual laser procedure takes just 15 seconds per eye.
After the procedure, your vision will be very blurry. Our LASIK surgery eye doctor will suggest that you sleep as much as possible when you get home. You should also avoid closeup work, such as reading and using the computer.
The day after your surgery, your vision should be clear without needing correction.
Schedule an Appointment
If you o longer want to use corrective eyewear, LASIK could be right for you. At Lavenburg Medical Group, we can determine if the procedure is safe for you. Our ophthalmology experts are committed to keeping your vision at its best. We serve patients in Newark and Wilmington DE, and Elkton, MD. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today.